Film: Schwarzfahrer - Racism in a German tram

I spotted the film on the blog Afro-Germanica Online. It's a short film about black man who endures racist talk from a German woman.

Schwarzfahrer (also known as Black Rider) is a 1993 German 12-minute short film directed by Pepe Danquart. It won an Academy Award in 1994 for Best Short Subject. The topic of the film is the daily racism a black man endures in a tram. The title is a word-play: literally, "Schwarzfahrer" means "black rider" in German, but is also translatable to "fare-dodger". This word-play forms the punch line of the short film. (Source: wikipedia.)

An interesting film with a O. Henry twist, so bare with it and you will laugh at the end.



7 Comments

  1. Thanks for linking up!

    I see there are quite a few youtube videos about different Afro-German films (some short, and some previews of full length versions). I'll have to do some searching to find more to feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Once upon a time. I didn't realise at first it was your blog, but suddenly I saw your name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's me. ;) I'd like to add more to the blog in terms of historical figures, but as you know this all takes time and research. I don't want to present just a bunch of "copy/paste" articles from Wikipedia. I'm working on getting new articles up. P.S. I have you in my Blogroll as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand! Please, don't feel pressured because I've added you to the list. What is on your blog is already interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No not at all. It's no pressure. I'm just trying to catch up to you! ;) I'm very thankful for what you do here and I read it frequently even if I don't often comment.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to hear it's no pressure!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaaaw man!
    thank yous thank yous thanks yous
    I love shorts!
    and jus the other day I was replayin this short in mah mind while Schwarzfahrer-ing he he he!
    and i was beating mahsef for not remembering the title nor the director name.
    now i also rememba how I burst out laughing and laughing thru out all the other shorts that were screened that nite. i laughed and laughed and laughed all the way home that beautiful spring evening.
    this is what short film is all about.
    thanks fo postin this. its a brilliant short/shot!
    MissLee

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form